With the support of the Thomas family, Playwriting Australia has established a playwright travel bursary in memory of playwright Erin Thomas. The Erin Thomas Playwright Fund has been created to support emerging playwrights from regional or remote areas to attend opportunities or events that would help them develop their careers.
To be eligible for the fund, playwrights need to:
- Reside in a regional, remote or rural area of Australia; and
- Be at an early stage of their career and have had no more than two professional productions Funded travel costs can include airfares, accommodation, per diems or other relevant expenses.
Playwrights may apply to attend events and opportunities, such as:
- Rehearsal Room internships at PWA’s events
- a State Exchange collaboration on a new work with an interstate artist or theatre company
- attendance at the National Play Festival
- Other external projects or opportunities that will benefit the writers’ professional career development.
Successful playwrights will be selected by a committee including Playwriting Australia’s key creative staff, representatives from the Thomas family and appointed artistic advisers.
The following information will be required in your application: completed Application Form; CV/resume; a short project proposal (max 500 words); travel budget and other optional material including letters of invitation or support (max 3 pages).
There are no closing dates for the Erin Thomas Fund, applications are accepted year round. The Erin Thomas Playwright Fund has been made possible through the generosity of the Thomas family and some of Erin’s closest friends.
For more information about how to apply, to download an application form and to learn more about playwright Erin Thomas, head to Playwriting Australia’s website.