The Artist-in-Residence program at the Bundanon site was initiated in 1997 and hosts around 350 artists each year on its Bundanon and Riversdale sites, approximately 15 to 20 kms west of the town of Nowra in NSW . The properties are Arthur Boyd’s gift to the Australian people, and his vision for Bundanon was for it to provide an inspirational haven for artists to pursue their practice.
The Bundanon Trust Artist-in-Residence program is open to arts professionals from Australia and overseas, working in all disciplines. This includes artists, writers, performers, producers, directors, composers, curators and educators. Residencies can be for research and development or for the creation of new work.
Individuals, groups and companies may apply. Note that ten is the maximum number of people who can be in residence at the same time.
The online form will ask for the following information (after you have made an account):
- your preferred dates for the residency – note that the minimum residency is seven days (please also note that in 2020, Bundanon Trust is embarking on the construction of a new contemporary gallery and other facilities at the Riversdale site. As a result, the Artist Residencies will be only be available from 13 July 2020 onward).
- any working requirements you have, such as use of a studio, a rehearsal space or a piano
- any special access needs you have (e.g. wheelchair, vision impaired)
- a short biography of all artists involved in the residency
- a short project description, telling us what you intend to do during the residency, and why
- a statement outlining the benefit of the residency to your professional development or to the successful realisation of your project (or both).
You will also be asked to submit examples of your work as support material. This can be writing, images, sound, video, or anything else that you consider best represents your practice.
Fees: There is a standard accommodation fee for Bundanon residencies of $50 per person per night, with a minimum stay of seven nights. Bundanon does not offer stipends, living allowances or travel assistance. Catering is also residents’ responsibility. A number of applicants each year may be offered fellowships, in which the accomodation fee will be waived; however, when applying for a residency, you should make your application on the assumption that you will need to pay the accommodation fee.
Applications for 2020 residencies close on Monday 29 July 2019.
Please visit the Bundanon Trust website for more information, and to apply.