The 2020 Western Australian Premier’s Book Awards are now open for entries.
The awards, for books published between 1 January and 31 December 2020, aim to support, develop and recognise excellence in writing. Self-published books are eligible to enter provided they have an ISBN and printed in book form.
- The Premier’s Prize for Writing for Children ($15,000)
- The Premier’s Prize for an Emerging Writer ($15,000)
- The Western Australian Writer’s Fellowship ($60,000)
- The Daisy Utemorrah Award for Unpublished Indigenous Junior and YA Writing ($15,000 and a publishing contract with Magabala Books)
- The Western Australian Writer’s Fellowship ($60,000) is designed to assist a Western Australian writer, of any genre or style, to develop their writing practice and give them the time to create new work.
NB: After consultation with the writing sector, it was decided the eligibility for the Writing for Children category will remain the same so only one person, either the writer or illustrator, must be a Western Australian resident for the last 12 months.
If entering the Emerging Writer Category with a children’s book or co-authored book, it must be the first published or self-published books for both the writer/s and illustrator. However, only one team member needs to be Western Australian resident for the last 12 months.
Entries close at 5pm (WST) on Monday 8 February 2021.
(Please note that the The Daisy Utemorrah Award for Unpublished Indigenous Junior and YA Writing is open until Friday 30 April 2021.
Full details are on the State Library of Western Australia’s website.